Just on the off chance that anyone gives a monkeys about my opinion, here’s this week’s singles rated and slated.
- JAMES : “Better Than That” (Infection/BMG)
We all like feeling younger don’t we? And this took me right back to 1994 when a new single from James made me very excited and happy, and sure enough this did when I heard it on 6 Music. Can’t wait to hear more!
2. FRIENDLY FIRES : “Love Like Waves” (XL)
Lovely, happy and made me smile.
3. TT : “I’ve Been Fine” (LoveLeaks)
Theresa Wyman’s gorgeous vocals and the guitar really perked me up. It really lifts up and grabbed me,
4. SLIM JXMMI : “Chanel” (earDrummers/Interscope)
Formerly of Rae Strummurd and with brother Swae Lee in tow it’s a driving rhythm and got moving a bit, and I’m a big bloke!
5. SABRINA CLAUDIO : “Don’t Let Me Down (f/ Khalid)”/”All To You” (Atlantic)
From Miami and just sexy! Slow and sexy!
6. KENNY CHESNEY : “Get Along” (Warner Nashville)
I’ve been listening to Radio 2 a lot over the bank holiday and it must have rubbed off on me because it’s Country Music and hasn’t made me want to line dance over a field full of grenades.
Good song, nice message and stuck in my head! Like if Embrace were from Waco rather than Wakefield
7. A$AP ROCKY : “A$AP Forever” (ASAP Worldwide)
Considering it’s just talking over Moby’s “Natural Blues” and then singing over Moby’s “Porcelain” (the much better part of the record), it’s pretty good!
8. BEN HOWARD : “A Boat On An Island On The Wall” (Island/Communion)
This should have chilled me out but it put me on edge. Stick with it for 3 and a bit minutes because it comes to life.
9. CALVIN HARRIS & DUA LIPA : “One Kiss” (Columbia/Sony)
It’s OK, feels a bit like 1994 in Brahms and Liszt, Manchester
10. MULLALLY : “Sweet Coffee” (Atlantic)
From sunny Norfolk and sounding not unlike Steve Brookstein, it’s pleasant enough
11. MOLLY MOORE : “No Stress” (B3SCI Records)
Literally the first line – “Let’s smoke some weed”. Oooh, you’re hard! There’s nothing new or interesting here.
12. NICKI FRENCH : “Steal The Crown” (Energise)
A new anthem for the wronged woman that sounds like an old anthem for the wronged woman.
13. MAYBERRY : “Whisper” (2512 Music Publishing)
Now THIS is the Country I know and hate! Offensively inoffensive.
14. ANDY BROWN : “Put That Record On” (Decca)
Boring, cliched and a bit creepy! “Put That Record On”? Unless you’re putting it on the fire, no thank you!